The Safety of Amalgams, the Silver-Colored Fillings

There have been many discussions about the safety of amalgams, the silver-colored fillings. The discussions have been raised pertaining to whether these fillings are the cause of various diseases such as autism, Alzheimer’s disease, and multiple sclerosis. Amalgams contain the toxic substance mercury but the American Dental Association (ADA) and the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) have found no link between these diseases and amalgams. In addition, there is no evidence that if a person who is suffering from any of these diseases has the fillings removed that they are cured.  

Studies have shown that when the mercury in the amalgam is mixed with tin, zinc, silver and copper that it becomes a more stabilized alloy. There has also been the concern that there is a small amount of vapor that may be released from the fillings and may affect a person’s health but the ADA has found that there is also no evidence to back this up. Dentists have been using amalgams for well over 100 years to fill and preserve hundreds of millions of decayed teeth.

There is the slight risk of a person having an allergic reaction to the amalgam.This normally happens when the patient has a family history of allergies to metal. The allergic reaction is like a typical skin allergy, itching and rashes. There have been fewer then 100 cases reported, according to the ADA. If you think that you may have a predisposition to this type of allergy you can bring up that concern with Dr. Florian in his North Royalton, OH dental office and another restorative material can be used.

                                                                                                                                                        Photo credit: patrisyu, freedigitalphotos.net         

Comments: