Have you used your fair share of tobacco products? If so, you may be concerned about your risk of having, or developing, oral cancer. Even if you have not used tobacco products, you should still be concerned about oral cancer. This is because 1/4th of all oral cancer cases occur in someone who has never used tobacco products, and only drank on occasion.
Unfortunately, the ADA reports that approximately 42k American adults will develop oral or throat cancer this year alone. The best way to detect oral cancer early on is to maintain regular dental visits, and receive an oral cancer screening.
Below, Dr. Florian in North Royalton lists several signs and symptoms that are commonly linked to oral cancer. If you notice one or more of these symptoms, you should consider seeing a doctor:
- Swelling in your lips and gums.
- White or red patches, or white and red spotted patches in your mouth.
- Bleeding that cannot be explained by any other logical explanation. If your gums are bleeding, this may be a sign of gum disease, not oral cancer.
- Loss of feeling (numbness) in your face, lips, tongue, or mouth.
- The feeling of something being stuck in the back of your throat.
- Pain or tenderness in your ear.
- A change or shift in your bite.
- Trouble chewing or talking without pain.
If you notice one or more of the above symptoms, you may be showing signs of oral cancer. You should schedule an appointment with a doctor ASAP to receive a professional opinion, and if need be, a treatment plan.
Need to Schedule an Appointment?
If you are in need of an appointment, Dr. Florian is always welcoming new and return patients. Feel free to contact our office today to schedule a visit.