Posts for tag: north royalton dentists
You can ask almost anyone and they will tell you that they desire a more appealing smile. Due to this, the demand for cosmetic dentistry has experienced a sharp increase in the last several years, and, as part of that increase, more and more people are looking for a great teeth whitening system. Teeth whitening is a minimally invasive procedure that can drastically improve the look of your smile.
While there are many products that whiten your teeth, it is important to first understand why your teeth are discolored to begin with.
Here is a list of the most common reasons why people experience tooth discoloration:
- Old Age: Over time, the enamel of our teeth wears down from day-to-day activities and the things we eat. When your enamel wears down, the inner portion of your tooth is exposed, and this causes your teeth to appear more yellow.
- Foods/Beverages: If you are eating foods or drinking drinks that contain food coloring, are acidic, or have dark pigments, they can cause discoloration. Your enamel, while usually translucent, contains microscopic areas that can trap food particles and cause your teeth to look discolored.
- Tobacco Usage: No surprise here, but tobacco is not good for your overall or oral health. Tobacco causes an increase of plaque and tartar build up and can cause your teeth to look discolored.
- Trauma/Injury: Discoloration is quite common for a tooth after it has received some type of trauma or injury. This can be from biting into something and fracturing/cracking your tooth, or from getting hit in the mouth.
- Pharmaceuticals: Many prescription drugs and medications can cause discoloration as a side effect.
Why is it important to know why your teeth are discolored?
Knowing what caused your discoloration will play an important role in how your specific case is treated. For example, a teeth whitening product that contains a bleaching agent will not be able to treat certain types of discoloration. In addition to this, if you have received a restoration like bonding, a crown, or filling, these will not respond to a bleaching agent.
Make sure you stay tuned to our Facebook and Twitter pages to keep an eye out for our next blog article. In this article, Dr. Florian will look at what teeth whitening treatment options are available.
Are you interested in teeth whitening in North Royalton, OH?