Posts for: August, 2016
In our last post we reviewed what dentures are, the different types of dentures, and possible reasons for needing dentures. If you have read that post and are interested dentures or have had previous interest in dentures, you probably have some questions about what the process entails. Dr. Florian in North Royalton, Ohio may have the answers you have been looking for about the process.
The process of receiving dentures typically demands several visits of the course of about a month. Below is an outline of the denture process:
- Dr. Florian will take an impression, or mold, of your teeth and mouth to accurately manufacture your custom dentures.
- Dr. Florian will conduct numerous “try-in” visits. These visits will be utilized to ensure the right shape, fit, and size of your dentures.
- Dr. Florian will extract teeth that may need to be removed, if any, prior to your dentures being completed.
- Dr. Florian will give you temporary dentures and place it in your mouth for use until your customized dentures are finished.
- Dr. Florian will remove your temporary dentures and place your customized dentures.
After Dr. Florian has placed your custom-made dentures you may experience some side effects. These include an increase in saliva production, some tooth sensitivity, and some issues eating and talking. Typically, these side effects will subside once your tissues and muscles adapt to your new dentures.
Dr. Florian will provide you with instructions on how to care for your dentures in the correct manner after your dentures are compelte. Your dentures have the capability of lasting many years as long as you maintain proper oral health care habits like brushing, flossing, and using mouthwash, clean your dentures, and visit Dr. Florian on a regular basis.
If you live in the Brecksville, Broadview Heights, North Royalton, Middleburg Heights, Independence, or Berea are and are interested in receiving or learning more about dentures please contact Dr. Florian today at his office in North Royalton.
Info To Know About Dentures
A denture is a dental appliance that is a good replacement if you have lost your real teeth. Dentures are able to be removed when needed and are made to closely resemble the look of your real teeth.
Dentures can be broken down into two categories: complete dentures and partial dentures.
Complete dentures are employed by Dr. Florian when all of your teeth are missing. Complete dentures will closely resemble the look and feel of your real teeth. Complete dentures will give you your healthy and happy smile back. Complete dentures are then broken down into two different categories: conventional and immediate. A conventional denture is manufactured and ready for use after your teeth have been removed and gums have had the chance to heal. This process typically takes approximately four to six weeks. An immediate denture is manufactured before your appointment and placed immediately. After your gums heal, your immediate denture will usually need to be altered.
Partial dentures, or a bridge, are utilized by Dr. Florian when some of your real teeth are still remaining and healthy. A partial denture is used for a couple of reasons. First, a partial denture will fill the spaces created by missing teeth making your smile look complete. Secondly, by filling the gaps in between your real teeth, they will be kept from shifting and changing position in your mouth.
Dentures are strong appliance and can last for a long period of time if properly maintained. However, like almost all restorations and dental appliances, dentures may need to be redone, adjusted, or repaired due to normal wear and tear.
There are many reasons why someone should consider dentures which include:
- Complete loss of all teeth within your mouth.
- Loss of multiple teeth within your mouth that create gaps.
- To strengthen your facial tissues and give you an attractive, healthy smile.
- To make chewing and talking easier.